Frequently asked questions
- I have received my User I.D. (Benutzer-ID) and my Password (Kennwort) but have been unable to log on. What should I do?
Check that you have entered your password correctly, paying particular attention to capitals and lower-case letters. Some numbers and letters look very similar. For example, the number 1 and the lower-case letter L (l), or the symbol 0 and the capital letter O.
If you are uncertain, you can "copy and paste" your password from the e-mail you received from us into the appropriate box on the Anmeldung (Logging on) page.
Complete the following steps:
1. Open the e-mail you received containing your User I.D. and password.
2. Highlight the password. Be careful to highlight only the 8 characters of the password.
3. Hold down the control key (Ctrl) – (Strg) on a German keyboard – and press ‘C’ (‘C’ for “Copy”).
4. Go to the "Anmeldung" page on the language course website and position the cursor in the password box.
5. Hold down the ‘Ctrl’ key and press the letter ‘V’. Your password will appear in the box.
6. Enter your User I.D. in the appropriate box.
7. Click the button "Anmelden".
- Why is the password so complicated? I cannot remember it.
The function of the password is to prevent unauthorised users gaining access to your "Exercise Account". If it were less complex, another user could guess the word and use up the exercises which you have paid for.
Your system may allow you to save your registration data so that you do not need to enter it every time you go on the website. You should only use this option, however, if you have a personal computer. On no account should you save your data onto a computer in a public place, such as an internet café or library.
- I´ve lost my password/User I.D. What should I do?
Simply ask by e-mail to have your registration data sent out to you again.
Also there is a little form to request your data. Simply enter your e-mail address, click on "Ok" and within minutes you'll receive a mail containing you user ID and password. Please note that the e-mail address must be exactly the same you've entered at your registration!
Request your account data now
- Does it matter if I type the letters in my password as capitals or not?
Yes it does. Your password must be entered exactly as it appears in the e-mail you received after registration.
- I used to be able to log on (mich anmelden) using my e-mail address but now I’m asked for my User I.D. I don’t know what my User I.D. is.
We will send it out to you. Just complete the following steps:
1. Go to the "Log in" page (Anmelden).
2. Click on "Kennwort vergessen? Kein Problem!"
3. You are now on the page „Zugangsdaten jetzt abfragen“. Enter your e-mail address in the box. Please note that this must be the same address you've entered at your registration.
You will receive your User I.D. and password shortly thereafter by e-mail
Request your account data now
- What is the difference between a Lerneinheit and a Übung?
Each teaching unit consists of several exercises, usually three, and an introductory text (Einstieg). All three exercises will be based on the subject covered in the Einstieg. Links, together with information on sources (Quellenangaben), give you instant access to extensive information in German on that subject.
An Übung is one exercise. You complete the exercise, have it checked by clicking on Prüfen, (mistakes will be shown in red) and then click on Lösung to get the correct solution.
- Do I have to do all of the exercises in a teaching unit?
No. You can select just one exercise from a teaching unit and then move on to another unit.
- Do I have to do the exercises in any particular order?
No. You are free to select any exercise you wish from any teaching unit. We do however recommend that you do not repeat an exercise straightaway. From a learning point of view, it is better to study the correct solution and then wait a day or two before trying the exercise again. You can have each exercise corrected three times. If you do the exercise a fourth time, this will count as a new exercise.
- Will I find the answers to the exercises in the Einstieg?
No. The Einstieg is simply an introduction to the subject addressed in that particular teaching unit.
The Einstieg will help you, however, to understand the subject in German and, as a result, complete the exercises with greater ease.
- Do I have to complete the exercises I have bought within a certain time period, such as one week, or one month?
No. The exercises are sold in "packets", referred to as a Wochenpaket, Monatspaket or Jahrespaket, but the description simply refers to the length of time that the average student needs to complete the number of exercises in that "packet". You can do the exercises as quickly or as slowly as you like.
- What is a Wochenpaket and how do I use it?
A Wochenpaket or "One Week Packet" contains 6 exercises. You can either select these 6 exercises on a "pick and mix" basis from any of the teaching units in the language course (there are currently 120 [10.02.2005] available but the number is constantly increasing), or you can decide to complete two teaching units, each consisting of three exercises.
- How do I use a Monatspaket?
A "Monatspaket" contains 24 exercises. You can decide whether you want to take a structured approach and work your way through the teaching units on a day-by-day basis (see the "Programm der Woche" on the left-hand side of the "Monatsübersicht" page), or just select 24 exercises that appeal to you from any of the teaching units.
- Can I do the exercises from the previous months?
Yes. You can select any of the exercises from the previous 11 months. Just click on the month you want to look at in the calendar list on the left-hand side of the Monatsübersicht page. Alternatively, you can click on Voriger Monat or Nächster Monat until you reach the month you want.
- How do I decide which exercises to do?
We recommend that you start by just looking at the exercises in the Monatsübersicht. As you will see, the Monatsübersicht is divided into three columns: Programm der Woche; Spektrum, and Sprach-Spezial. Each of these columns presents the teaching units in a different way, with a number of the units appearing more than once. This is because people like to approach the course in different ways. You can also select exercises from the Themenindex or Sprachindex. (After you have signed on, these will appear in the information bar at the very top of the Monatsübersicht – look for Kalender/Themenindex/Sprachindex/Mein Lerntagebuch)
To get started, select an exercise which interests you and corresponds to your current level of competence. You can have this exercise corrected a total of 3 times and then it will be deleted from your account.
- How do I use Mein Lerntagebuch?
Click on "Mein Lerntagebuch". Here you can see:
- how many exercises you have in your account;
- how many times you can still have your exercises corrected;
- which percentages you have achieved in the exercises you have already completed.
- How do I buy the exercises?
Click on "Mein Lerntagebuch" and then on "Lernpakete buchen" and just follow the simple steps outlined by "Paypal".
Using Paypal to buy exercises requires a Paypal account. The registration ist free.
- How do I call up the mini-keyboard with the German umlauts and ‘ß’?
You can either:
Call up the mini-keyboard by clicking on the small keyboard image in the top, left-hand corner of the exercise page;
Click on the pop-up blocker information bar and follow the simple steps to deactivate the pop-up blocker for the language course website.